- Are you an average golfer, carding an average score, week in week out?
- Is your handicap between 15 and 22?
- Do you prefer 4-ball rounds?
- Are you battling the frustrations of the world’s most difficult sport?
- Have you scoured the internet for tips and tricks to improve your golf?
- Have you been golfing for a few years, and not improving?
Well we decided to put this article together to help you not be average. The article is divided into sections and provides tips and advice on playing and equipment in each section.
What makes an average golfer average?
Do any of these points ring a bell with you?
The average drive for the average golfer travels 217 yards in 2018, down from 220 yards in 2015. Average golfers use ill-fitting clubs, five plus year old clubs and mishit the ball, adding loft and creating too much spin.
Average golfers reach for the driver on a 340-yard par 4 hole and immediately get into trouble off the tee. A safe 6-iron and a steady 7-iron would get you on or near the green, heading for a bogey or even a par.
Average golfers try difficult lob shots when a chip would be a better choice.
Average golfers think they can hit the ball further than it actually travels. Take more club. Easy.
Average golfers try to hit the skin off the ball, where its all about the swing and timing.
Average golfers don’t play enough and certainly don’t practice enough, especially putting – good putting is vital for a good score. But, hey, amateur golfers usually play for fun, it s a hobby, not their living. Having said that, most golfers whose handicap is around 18, if they are honest, would love to improve it by a couple of strokes.
There are thousands of simple drills that are available on the internet to improve all aspects of your golf, but most golfers don’t try them. Some do, then give up, just like trying a diet.
Best Golf Clubs for The Average Golfer
The average golfer doesn’t need to spend thousands of dollars on top equipment. It is however important that the clubs are not too long or too short, so a fitting session will ensure that the clubs will suit you.
You may think that reading reviews is a waste of time. If you read a couple, you are probably right. Read a lot of product reviews to get average opinions.
We recommend this set of Callaway clubs, they will do the job for most golfers.
Callaway Men’s Strata Ultimate Complete Golf Set (18-piece)
The Callaway Strata Ultimate 18-Piece Golf Club Set offers great performance value for the intermediate player, with carefully matched clubs to enhance every aspect of your game. The set includes a driver, 2 fairway woods, 2 hybrids, 4 irons, 2 wedges, a putter, a custom stand bag, and 5 headcovers. The full titanium driver gives you a large sweet spot with excellent forgiveness for those crushing tee shots. The 3- and 5- woods are aerodynamically crafted to deliver long, high shots to hasten your approach to the pin.
The hybrid clubs replace the traditional long irons, offering better control on a variety of shots; the stainless steel irons and wedges feature Callaway’s high flight technology to ensure solid placement; and the putter face is precisely milled to deliver the accuracy and distance control needed to sink more putts. The Callaway Strata Ultimate 18-Piece Golf Club Set for Men comes together in a lightweight logo stand bag and is topped off with 5 color-coordinated headcovers, giving you a sharp setup that will look good on any course you aim to conquer and are one of the best golf clubs for beginners.
- Full titanium driver gives you a large sweet spot and more forgiveness to bomb it off the tee. (Headcover included)
- Very forgiving 3-wood and 5-wood built for long, high flying shots in a more aerodynamic head shape. (Headcovers included)
- 4H and 5H hybrids provide great alternatives to long irons, so you can play with more confidence on a variety of shots. (Headcovers included)
- Irons/wedges: High flight technology delivers distance, forgiveness and control from stainless steel irons. PW and SW provided.
- Precise face milling designed for better accuracy and distance control to help you sink more putts.
- Lightweight, durable bag combines a cool authentic look, convenient pockets, tee holders and an easy to carry back strap.
Best Driver for The Average Golfer
All average golfers love their driver, maybe too much! Here are a couple of tips to help you drive better.
- When you place the ball on the tee, make sure half the ball is above the club when the club is rested on the ground
- The ball is positioned in line with your left heel
- Tilt your body slightly away from the target
- In the backswing, transfer most of your weight to the right side
- Initially, keep your right arm straight, then bend it at right angles towards the top of the swing
- Make sure your swing is steady and smooth, swing the club, don’t hit the ball
- Complete the swing facing the target with your left arm tucked into your body
Cobra Men’s King F6 Driver (Adjustable Loft)
The standard King F6 replaces the Cobra Fly-Z driver and at address the 460cc head is almost identical in shape. Whilst the width of the lighter Ti-811 titanium body is roughly the same, the face on the King F6 is shallower and wider to lower the CG.
The crown of the club is part of the weight saving strategy and it is incredibly thin, down to as little as 7mm in some places.
At address the F6 looks a little on the closed side, especially if you increase the loft to the top of the range, but it actually plays pretty neutral. The King F6 has an orange 10g polycarbon weight that can be swapped with the black plastic cover, to move the CG back or forward a little. Putting the weight at the front will reduce the spin and lower the launch.
- F6 CG TUNING-F6 Drivers featuring adjustable ‘Front to Back’ CG technology
- FORGED E9 FACE-A new, re-engineered Forged 8-1-1 Titanium E9 Face
- MY FLY-Eight easily adjustable loft settings
- SPEED CHANNEL-Speed Channel is an exclusive COBRA innovation
Best Irons for The Average Golfer
The hardest clubs to use in the bag. Here are some tips for playing iron shots (for right handed golfers).
- Move your weight to your front leg
- The back of the hand should face the target when the club makes contact with the ball
- Most of the grip should be with the bottom 3 fingers of the left hand
- The right hand should be lightly touching the handle
- Don’t scoop the ball or try and lift it. The head of the club is designed to be used in a descending motion. Let the club do its job
- Hit the ball, then the ground, taking a divot
- Practice one-hand swings with the left hand only
- Do try hybrids instead of 3 or 4-irons, they do help
TaylorMade 2018 M4 Individual Steel Iron Club
TaylorMade’s new M4 irons are aimed at players looking for extra distance, forgiveness, and feel. Featuring RIBCOR, Face Slots, a Speed Pocket, and a redesigned off-centre Inverted Cone, each technology has been individually optimized specifically for the new TaylorMade M4 irons to deliver incredible distance and forgiveness.
New Ribcor tech behind the face localizes face flexibility which TaylorMade say transfers more energy to the ball, increasing ball speed and distance. A fluted hosel, under cut top edge, speed pocket sole and face slots all help create a super low CG design and highly forgiving iron. A carbon fibre cavity badge dampens unwanted vibrations, improving sound and feel for this category of iron.
With forgiveness being a significant focus of M4 irons’ engineering process, TaylorMade went to great lengths to achieve its high-MOI design. Optimized mass distribution (toward the heel and toe) resulted in a high resistance to twisting of the head during an off-center impact, which translates to preserved ballspeeds and improved forgiveness across the face.
- Iron choices are – 4-iron, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW, AW, SW, LW
- Speed Pocket technology improves low-face flexibility
- Face Slots enhance face flexibility in the heel and toe areas
- The Fluted Hosel and 360° Undercut technologies produce discretionary weight
Best Wedges for The Average Golfer
Generally, it is best not to hit a wedge shot higher than is necessary to carry an obstacle. It’s harder to be accurate when the balls flies miles in the air.
- Use a higher lofted club for more backspin
- Play the ball back in your stance, nearly in line with your back foot
- Narrow stance to maintain balance and to prevent overswinging
- Hands leaning towards the target through impact
- Not much body rotation on the back swing but full rotation to complete the shot facing the target
Wilson Harmonized Golf Wedge
When it comes to your short game, which is what many golfers dread, the best way to overcome your fear of increasing the shot count and to improve your wedge and chipping game is to practice with a Harmonized and state of the art wedge club. This is essentially where the Wilson Harmonized Golf Wedge has made its mark. The sheer design of the wedge on top of the best materials used to make it – outweigh some of the best wedge clubs in the golfing world.
Harmonized Wedges have long been popular in pro shops. A new innovative sole design now gives players more options around the green. Play higher shots with greater accuracy with a special sole grind that allows players to open the club face for improved performance.
- High polish finish and classic blade shape
- True Temper steel irons for high performance and reliability
- Sole grind allows players to open the club face
- Blade shape with modified bounce angles
Best Putter for The Average Golfer
Next time you play a round of golf, keep a note on your card of the number of putts you took on each hole. You won’t get a shock, but you will realise how important putting is and how reducing the number of putts will reduce your handicap. Here are few tips.
- Practice from different distances, you have to always make the short ones
- Practice to understand ball speed, distance is vital
- Read the green, left and right borrows, work out the line
- Align the putter along that line
- Make sure the back of your leading hand follows towards that line
- Allow for more break than you see
Odyssey Hot Pro 2.0 Putter
The Odyssey White Hot Pro is a modern version of Odyssey’s original White Hot. In the White Hot Pro, the insert has been engineered to create a more consistent feel, sound and performance at impact. Even the recess in the face where the insert is placed has been upgraded. A new laser milling process allowed Odyssey to achieve even higher tolerances to better match the new insert to the various head shapes, improving consistency across the face.
- Laser milling cutting process
- Tour proven clubhead shape
- Highly engineered for more consistent feel and performance
- 12-month guarantee
Best Golf Balls for The Average Golfer
All golf balls may look the same but look under the covers and most golf balls on the market differ greatly.
- Once you have found the ball that suits you, stick to it
- Bounce the ball on the face of your wedge, get a feel
- Firmer fee, less spin, decide what suits you
Callaway 2017 Supersoft Golf Balls (One Dozen)
The Supersoft is Callaway’s softest golf ball ever and features a compression of only 38, which is 20 lower than some of their most popular two piece balls.
The super low spin is a catalyst for straight shots but at the expense of some distance.
- Improved core design to promote faster ball speed
- New Premium HEX Dynamics with more refined surface contours
- New Tri-ionomer cover formulation increases softness
Millions of golfers are very happy to play a round once a week with their pals and that’s fine, but some of you are keen to improve your handicap maybe by a couple of points. So, I hope that the tips and advice we have given you will help a bit.