Did you know that you may chip with any club? Wedge…3-Iron…Even three wood!
The further away the pin, the lower the loft. Get the ball rolling as quickly as you possibly can!
– Feet about one foot apart
– Weight on the forward foot
– Back knee pointing toward the target, with almost no weight on the back foot.
This will put your hands ahead of the ball. Take the club back with your shoulders. No wrist break, hands lead the clubhead on the downswing. No wrist break. Let the clubhead do the work.
TRY IT! YOU’LL LOVE IT!
Top 10 Wedge Tips
1. Wedges are precision scoring clubs, swing with maximum 70% of effort.2. Keep your arms free, soft and relaxed. Your chest must be turned away from the target during the wedge swing and let your arms flow through the shot. Your shoulders will automatically line up to the target and your arms will follow the shoulder line right on target.
3. When performing greenside bunker shots, open the clubface and imagine throwing sand with your left arm all the way to the pin. The ball will float out, that’s all you have to do. It’s the arm swing only, slow and easy, same tempo back, same tempo through.
4. On wedge shots, use a soft and semi-loose grip and just let the club flow through, do not try to guide it, just let it happen.
5. When shooting from the rough, the deeper the rough the firmer the grip must be. If the rough is 1″ high, play the ball back in the stance 1-2″ from normal position. If the rough is 2″ high, play the ball back 2-3″ from normal. If the rough is 3″ high, play the ball back 3-4″. If more than this, get King Kong as a designated hitter!
6. Align shoulders with the slope in all shots.
7. If the ball is sitting up “play the ball to 1″ back in stance. A ball sitting up increases the loft of the wedge, if sitting up 1″, play the ball back 1”.
8. For tight lies, and/or ball from a divot, play the ball 2-3″ back towards the right foot from normal. This allows a steeper downswing and compresses the ball quicker.
9. The softer your arms are in the wedge swing, the more you’ll “spank” the ball and become a better wedge player.
10. Right foot must be firmly planted on the ground on all shots when playing the wedges. After impact, and only then does the right foot want to come up slightly. The wedge swing is an arm and upper torso swing only. Never ever force the swing. Just let the arms flow softly.