It’s raining outside, and you’ve got that golfing itch. But your polished wooden floor and your other half are not happy with you hitting golf balls across the lounge! What to do? Get the indoor putting mat out!
You will be surprised the amount of detail that you can find in modern putting mats. Some of the more expensive ones offer artificial turf, slopes, proper holes, mini flags – mini greens! The larger ones, say, 15ft long may be more suitable for a large games room or leisure center.
But indoor putting mats of any size can really help to tune your stance and swing, they are a great tool to help you get used to your putter. They are a great way to practice those short putts, say, 10 ft and less. If you can start sinking this length of putt on the real greens, you’re going to lower your scores rapidly.
If you can regularly 1-putt or 2-putt on the green, you won’t be able to get that grin off your face!
- 1 Choosing The Right Indoor Putting Mat
- 2 Drills For Your Indoor Putting
- 3 Our Recommended Indoor Putting Mats!
- 4 Q&A
- 5 And finally
Choosing The Right Indoor Putting Mat
There are many options to choose from. If you go for cheap, well, you get what you paid for. But the most expensive mat may not be the best idea. Here are a list of points to help you decide.
- The mat must fit into the space you have available, in your living room or in the office
- The mat must lay flat, nothing worse than creases that won’t go away
- Choose a mat that will simulate the speed of the greens that you play on normally
- Thickness and quality are important, cheap material won’t last long
- A mat should be within your budget
- They come in all shapes and sizes, think hard about who and how it will be used
- A non-slip backing is important
- Storage is important, make sure you work out how you’re going to store the mat when it’s not in use, keep it dry
Drills For Your Indoor Putting
You might think that putting in your living room is not going to help your game on the real greens. But if you focus and practice with a purpose, putting on an indoor mat will help your game.
- Try first putting with your right hand only, then with the left hand only. This will build your putting stroke by ingraining skill with one hand.
- Place a ball 3ft away from the cup, one ball 6ft away and a third ball 9ft away. Start by sinking the nearest ball. If successful, try sinking the next ball, and finally the furthest ball. If you fail on any shot, you must start again with the 3ft ball!
- Try putting along the wainscot. If you don’t touch the wainscot, it will mean that your swing is more or less correct.
- Place a second ball, say 4ft in front of your ball towards the target. Try and hit the second ball towards the hall. This is very difficult and frustrating but keep at it, it will help your accuracy.
Want more drills? Here’s 5 more golf putting drills you can do indoors.
Our Recommended Indoor Putting Mats!
#1 Putt-A-Bout Grassroots Par Three Putting Green (9-feet x 3-feet) – Best Putting Mat For Home
Hone your putting skills with this fun 3-by-9-foot putting green. The Grassroots Par Three Putting Green kidney-shaped green’s three cups give you plenty of practice targets, while the built-in sand traps are designed to catch missed shots. The green also offers a high-quality putting surface designed to stay smooth over time. A great practice aid for your putting stroke. 9 x 3-Feet kidney shaped green gives you 3 cups to aim at. High quality putting surface designed to stay smooth.
- 3ft x 9ft kidney-shaped putting green
- 3 target cups
- Rear sand trap
- Hight quality putting surface
#2 SKLZ Accelerator Pro – Indoor Putting Green With Ball Return (9 feet x 16.25 Inches)
The Accelerator Pro Indoor Putting Green features a patent pending ball return for easy putt repetition to improve your game, get more consistency in less time. The continuous ball return allows you to train without interruption. And because you can keep putting without re-setting, you can focus on maintaining a steady stroke and consistent tempo on each putt, making your training more efficient and effective.
At 9 feet long by 16.25 inches wide, your Accelerator Pro indoor putting green will fit well in most rooms or covered patios. The premium turf lets you practice key putt lengths on a true-roll surface with a stimp reading similar to actual greens. Precise alignment guides at 3, 5, and 7 feet assist every aspect of your putting motion – squaring the face, back swing, and follow through – for greater accuracy and distance control on every putt. The Accelerator Pro features a gentle upslope at the cup, so you practice accelerating through the ball. Miss your putt and the ball will roll back to you on the putting green.
The SKLZ Manufacturer Warranty for the Accelerator Pro indoor putting green is 1 year, but try not to break it!
- Indoor putting green with ball return
- Upslope at the cup
- Alignment guides
- True-roll surface
- 9ft x 16.25 in putting green
#3 OUTAD Golf Putting Mat Green Indoor Outdoor – Best Office Putting Mat
The OUTAD indoor putting green will fit well in most rooms or covered patios. The premium turf lets you practice key putt lengths on a true-roll surface with a stimp reading similar to actual greens. This quality golf training mat is for the amateur golfer out there who is looking to have fun outside the golf course and for people who are looking to buy their loved one that perfect gift, this is that present! It is easy to clean and has a long life. You can increase the difficulty on the little cup, the big cup has a rust-free steel ring.. Also makes an excellent office putting green!
- Surface designed to stay smooth
- True-roll to simulate real green conditions
- Ideal for indoor and outdoor, residential/office use
- EVA high elastic, short grass green
- 10 ft x 1.6 ft, includes 1 set of golf flags plus flag plate
Indoor putting is supposed to be fun. Invent some competitions with your friends and family.